What is a Tagged PDF and how do you know if you have one?
Tagging PDF documents is our primary output, our namesake and a large part of our vision to make the world more accessible. The process doesn’t change the ‘look’ of a document to a sighted person, instead it essentially explains what each piece of information is within the document and in what order these pieces of information come.
- Adds ‘tags’ to guide assisting technology
- Sets the navigation and reading order for complex documents
- Follows general contrast and layout specifications
- Allows for accessible and print versions of document to look the same
- Can be protected to minimise user edits.
- Allows for more design elements
- Can describe complex tables and content
- Alternate text of up to 4062 characters recognised
- Visual representation the same across all devices and versions
- Important information can not be easily altered once published.